August 19, 2010

Young Smokers

I just heard over the news that smokers nowadays in our country are getting younger and younger. A ten year old boy admitted to smoking 3-5 sticks per day. I recalled what I was doing at that age and I was nowhere near trying to smoke or at least thinking of trying it out.

I must admit though that my first taste of a cigarette stick was at 13 years old on my first year in high school. But I only got hooked to it in my third year of college at 18, with the addiction lasting till I was 25 years old. And it has been a year since I became smoke-free. Something I am truly proud of. Quitting is not hard if you put your mind into it.

When I look back, smoking really does you no good but to get you addicted to a potential health threat. Thinking of all the nicotine that I inhaled in my body and how it is still there makes me shake my head in regret of starting the habit in the first place. Funny how now I tend to get irritated at people who blow smoke my way when I used to be just like them. That is why I do not call their attention to it.

Karma's bitch that way.

But something must be done to prevent children from learning to smoke and smoking altogether. Smoking at a very young age is just wrong. I learned that from experience. I know my smoker friends would get mad at me, but maybe it is really time to increase the cost of one cigarette stick. Just for the sake of the children. A 2.50/stick price range is just like buying 3 pieces of candy for a child. It is just too accessible. I can tolerate adults smoking but I draw the line with children.

I am sure you would not want your future child learning to smoke first way before he or she learns to read.

Children should be playing not smoking.

1 comment:

Emmie St. Clare said...

Guess you've heard about that 2 year old Indonesian kid who's now in nicotine rehab =/

Rizal pa ang lastname.